Civil Engineering Department is one of the first core branches established in 1986 with a mission of offering quality technical education and effective interaction with industries giving special emphasis on R & D and Consultancy. The department is running B. Tech. (Civil Engineering), M. Tech. (Structural Engineering), M. Tech. (Environmental Science and Engineering) and Ph.D. Courses. The department is proud of its experienced faculty, well-equipped laboratories and other infrastructure available. The department has been recognized as a consultancy centre for road construction, material testing, structural design, etc. by leading government agencies and private sectors. B. Tech. (Civil Engineering) programme is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA), India four times in 2005, 2012, 2017 & 2020 (For Three Years). The department is having its own computer centre linked to the BIT LAN and advanced computing Lab with the latest Software like STAAD PRO, ANSYS, SAP2000, ETABS etc.
Year of Establishment: 1986
COURSES OFFERED & INTAKE:
- Bachelor of Technology Civil Engineering): 120
- Master of Technology (Structural Engineering): 18
- Master of Technology (Environmental Science and Engineering) Part Time: 15
Department strives to create value based globally competent Civil Engineering professionals to collaborate in Research and Innovation for better development of the nation.
To impart well co-ordinated and sincere efforts:
- To evolve and follow dynamic and flexible outcome based curricula to produce Civil Engineers with a balanced blend of technical, ethical, societal and environmental concerns.
- To constantly upgrade the departmental infrastructural resources, pedagogical tools and human resources using the state-of-the-art technology.
- To instill lifelong learning interest in the Research and Development opportunities in the field of Civil Engineering.
- To assist and encourage extra-curricular and other value-based activities to promote the overall development of students and to serve the society.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- To groom civil engineering graduates using a dynamic and flexible Outcome Based curricula with proper blend of technical, societal, ethical and environmental concerns.
To equip the graduates with the proficiency to apply the state of art technology by continuously upgrading the infrastructural facilities, pedagogical tools and human resources in the Department.
To produce skillful Civil Engineering Professionals with an aptitude for lifelong learning and innovative practices for Research and Development.
To groom Civil Engineering Professionals with a right blend of sound technical knowledge, professional values and ethics for their employability, entrepreneurship, higher education and to serve the society.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an civil engineering specialization to the solution of complex civil engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex civil engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES
An ability to provide safe, economical and practical solutions to various civil engineering problems.
An ability to function effectively as a member or leader of a technical team and effectively manage projects of civil engineering and multidisciplinary nature.
An ability to visualize innovative solutions for certain challenges for which existing solutions may not be acceptable.
A commitment to professional ethics with an emphasis on quality, timeliness and continuous improvement.
- The civil engineering department is a state technical agency (STA) for Pradhan Mantri Gramin Sadak Yojana (PMGSY)
- The department plays important role in testing and consultancy for State Government and Public Sectors as well as for Private Sectors.
Members of Board of Studies (Civil Engineering):
- Dr. S. K. Jaiswal (Chairman)
- Dr. S. J. Nair (Co-opt by Chairman BOS)
- Dr. Nishant Yadav (Member)
- Mrs. Mallika Jain (Member)